Home Improvement

Sprayed bleach solution (3:1) in freezer to kill mold. Coil didn’t get directly soaked, but is the bleach vapor or airborne particles likely to cause my coil to corrode over time?

By June 22, 2019 3 Comments
Sprayed bleach solution (3:1) in freezer to kill mold. Coil didn't get directly soaked, but is the bleach vapor or airborne particles likely to cause my coil to corrode over time?

The whole compartment was soaked, but the coil is behind a vented panel. Last night, after wiping up the excess liquid, I closed the freezer and let it run. Just occurred to me how corrosive bleach can be, so I’ve been cleaning all the surfaces with water and now soap, but I pulled the panel off the coil and noticed it’s got frost all over it.

I assume there’s bleach in the frost (from air circulation), but someone here may know better. I don’t think bleach evaporates, but I read that the particles are tiny and very easily become airborne. If they’re suspended in the frost, maybe they can cause pitting over time, but maybe not?

Should I just leave it be, or disassemble and try to clean the coil with soapy water? I **really** don’t want to have to do that.

[PICS HERE](https://imgur.com/a/okD6KEl)

(Everything is wet because I had just sprayed it with clean water.)


View Reddit by nukem2k5View Source

3 Comments

  • USED_HAM_DEALERSHIP says:

    I wouldn’t worry about it. Bleaching it one time is not going to hurt anything.

  • Notevenspecial says:

    You are fine.

  • TerrysApplianceSvc says:

    Bleach degrades into oxygen and salt.

    It you did it more than a couple of hours ago, there’s no more bleach there, but there will be a little salt left.

    Any salt on the coils should go away with the next defrost cycle. If you got bleach on anything else, like the wire connectors or anything else metal, you’ll need to unplug the machine and rinse it off.

Leave a Reply